The Suburban Rabbit

You hate me 'cause I eat your flowers and leave pellets all over your yard. But your children love me — they call me "Peter Cottontail", even though I'm a girl. None of you understands me. Maybe this blog will help to educate you all.

Name:
Location: Republic of Texas

Gene Bob tells me that my middle name must be "Bob" if I live in Texas, which I do. And Gene Bob is never wrong. Fortunately, the law according to Gene Bob does *NOT* say that I have to use the nickname "Billy" for my first name. Therefore, since one has to put one's foot down someplace or float off into space, I insist upon using my given first name.

20060802

Backyard Update 3

Apparently the Hispanics working in the backyard are also good Catholics because Sunday was a day of rest. If they worked, they weren't working here. Then again, they didn't show up Monday, either, and Tuesday only saw two of them show up late and work for only about an hour attaching one row of 2x6 along the top of the wall.

This morning started out looking like another slow day, but just after 11 the same two from late Tuesday showed up and got down to some serious work. Then, around 4 p.m. the boss-man showed up and there was an argument about the 2x6 that had been installed the day before. It seems to be called a "kick board" and the argument was about whether it should have been there. Conclusion: the 2x6 on the work order was a "top cap" (which is not the same as a "top hat"), not a kick board. I wasn't close enough to hear if the boss-man suggested that the workers should learn to read English.

The fence is almost done. The kick board stays because it would be too much labor to remove it after 150 feet of pickets have been installed. I'm guessing it will all be done tomorrow, though I don't know if that will include the staining (the Gray One and his mate chose "light", not "dark").

As I was watching the work I was getting really worried because there's no gap between the wall and the fence. That's good for keeping dogs out, but looked pretty effective at keeping me out, too! Then I saw a spot over by the garage where the wall drops down flush with the grass. That's where the gate used to be and it looks like they're constructing another there. There's about a 4 inch space under the gate that I can easily get through. Unfortunately, it might also let small dogs through. Luckily, there's still the crack between the chimney and the storage box — I can seek refuge there if a dog squeezes under the gate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home