The Suburban Rabbit

You hate me 'cause I eat your flowers and leave pellets all over your yard. But your children love me — they call me "Peter Cottontail", even though I'm a girl. None of you understands me. Maybe this blog will help to educate you all.

Name:
Location: Republic of Texas

Gene Bob tells me that my middle name must be "Bob" if I live in Texas, which I do. And Gene Bob is never wrong. Fortunately, the law according to Gene Bob does *NOT* say that I have to use the nickname "Billy" for my first name. Therefore, since one has to put one's foot down someplace or float off into space, I insist upon using my given first name.

20060309

Dangerous Times

I don't know what happened, but my previously peaceful backyard has become decidedly less so in the past week.

You may recall that the lack of cats and dogs and pools, and a good Wi-Fi connection, was a prime factor in my place of residence. What I didn't mention was that this house does have children. Human children, that is. Two of them. Boys.

They use my abode as their playground, but until a few days ago they did this late in the day most days, and only during the day for a couple of days each week. But they've been spending a lot of time out here for the past six days and it's really starting to wear me down.

I don't mind leaving the back-yard every now and then, even for most of the day if it doesn't happen too often. But I'm beginning to wonder if this is a permanent thing, and the idea frightens me.

Even with the recent spate of road rage killings, there are lots of rabbits around. And the first batch of Spring babies are going out on their own about now. Combine all those new mouths with the fact that lawns aren't yet in full bloom and we're facing a food shortage in the common areas. And more and more private areas are being claimed every day. If these children don't go back to their normal play patterns soon I may have to find a new place to live.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gene said...

Rabbits, rabbits .. where have I seen photos of gentle little rabbits lately?

Ah yes, on Geoff Arnold's blog after a few days in Jolly Old London.

3/09/2006 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home